[TYPO3-UG US] Support Section and TYPO3.us

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Oct 14 21:55:48 CEST 2005

Hi Gabe,

I can see a few reasons why a T3 user group for North America would be a
good idea, maybe as a "mother organization" to local or country UGs for
Canada, the US and Mexico. It could coordinate the activities of the
different user groups and provide some inter-linking and cross
pollination. Maybe you could start working on a structure for a North
American user group, with one of the domain names you suggested.

The typo3.us site is intended to focus the marketing efforts directly at
the US market, since the US has unique needs. This is not to say that
other markets do not have unique needs, but only that with each market
we need to refine our marketing from the very general (as on typo3.com)
to the very specific (as on http://www.typo3.nl/ , http://www.typo3.ch/
and http://www.typo3.fr/ ). The reason being, each market has its
specific needs that need to be spoken to in that market's language, in
order to be successful. There are many differences between the Unites
States and Canadian markets, and to make a joint marketing site that
ignores those differences means the marketing effort will be less
efficient than it can be from the outset. Which is why companies like
Sony have individual US and Canadian sites for marketing and support
(www.sony.com and www.sony.ca ).

For example, when marketing to the healthcare industry: In the US,
healthcare is privatized, while in Canada it is socialized and is
closer, as a market, to Mexico rather than the US. To provide solutions
and support to both structures at the same time means we are dividing
our efforts and watering down our message. Either we generalize our
language and solutions which makes us look unfocused, or be specific to
the point where we look like we don't know which market we're targeting.
Other market segments are similar, too. For example, Canada has two
primary languages, English and French. In the US our primary languages
are English and Spanish, which make the US closer to Mexico using
language as a commonality. Federal, state and local laws also will
influence the attitudes and language that we use to market to the
different market segments. For example, in my state, there is a law that
requires a state agency to use a vendor located in the state if a vendor
can be found that meets the requirements for the job. That means it's
illegal to use a vendor from another state, let alone Canada, if a local
vendor can provide the same service. And there are many states with
similar laws. So targeting to government organizations requires
marketing with that specific perspective.

On the flip side, if I, as a consultant, want to market to an
organization in Canada, it would be nice to have a TYPO3 marketing site
that focuses on Canada so that I can learn how I can be most effective
with my consulting to that organization, just as I can use the France or
Netherlands T3 marketing sites. In this case, being different is a good
thing, and "different" does not mean "separate". But just as the US
market has specific needs, we would be doing the Canadian and Mexican
markets a disservice by lumping them in with US marketing.

Alex