[TYPO3-UG US] ... from New York

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Mon Oct 10 22:17:22 CEST 2005

Olivier,

On 10/10/05, Olivier Dobberkau <olivier.dobberkau at dkd.de> wrote:
> please submit your bugs and corrections to
> http://bugs.typo3.org/login_page.php
> or here http://typo3.org/development/projects/zap-the-gremlins/ or
> contact the main translator here.
> http://typo3.org/extensions/translators/
>
> stop complaining, start acting :-)

True, however, the incentive to do that vs. just keeping your fixes as
patches for your own use is diminished by the fact that noone does
backporting of those fixes to previous versions.

I never did and never will run a production system on a CVS version of
_anything_. I bet that anyone who has done any patching in Typo3 core
runs/supports at least a dozen of Typo3 websites on 3.7 and does not
plan to upgrade to 3.8 or (god forbid) CVS.

In a situation like this, I'll more than willing to share the
extensions that alleviate some of the problems (like m1_address_us,
for example), but patches to the core? What's the point if it's
already fixed for you, and if you want to use your patch as a
legitimate part of Typo3 core you have to upgrade?

I know it doesn't justify the practice, I'm just trying to find out if
it's only my feeling and I am such a selfish bastard ;) or others feel
the same?

As an example, I am more than willing to file bugs and patches to RHEL
since I don't have to migrate my stuff to RHEL4 to see the stuff
fixed, I am running RHEL3 and plan to do so for another 2-3 years.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko