[TYPO3-UG US] ... from New York

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Mon Oct 10 16:41:02 CEST 2005

John,

On 10/10/05, John Romano <typo3 at pb.net> wrote:
[..]
>   - documentation swiss cheese; i.e.
>   - mailing list search;
>   - mailing list usefulness;
>   - US English?

Ditto on every point. Absolutely.

I think the decision to get rid of mailing list on typo3.org was a
HUGE mistake. Instead of just dropping everything they should've at
least implemented some form of linking to the pipermail archives at
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-english/. Of course, here
we come to another shortcoming - the Archive only goes back to Jan
2005.... Oh well...

As far as US English is concerned - I am not a native speaker myself,
but I guess that if even I can see problems with it, it really is an
issue. I think the marketing efforts in US should be focused first on
fixing the documentation and UI rather than writing another bunch of
press-releases and case studies. There are literally thousands of
websites showcased at typo3.org - how many more case studies and
samples does one need?

If we are to market to consultancies/freelancers, let's not forget
that _documentation_ is probably the easiest way to reach that
audience - they typically skip the hype.

Oh, and QuickStart monster with <font>s, frames, "Trainers" and soccer
referred to as "football" should be banned in US. Forever. Actually,
the rest of the world would benefit from a ban, too. QuickStart is
probably the first thing a typical newbie does when trying out TYPO3,
and no wonder a lot of people are not so impressed.
(http://www.cmswatch.com/Trends/416-Learning-about-content-management-with-Typo3)

So, how about as a marketing plan in US we

a) fix the language in user documentation and UI
b) build a new and proper Quickstart (CSS/XHTML based and featuring a
baseball team;)
c) .. then, and only then start building new websites that replicate a
lot of what's already done at typo3.org (Euro-English or not).

--
Dimitri Tarassenko