[TYPO3-UG US] templating preferences in typo3

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 22:01:08 CET 2005

Hi,

On 24/11/05, Chris Paige <chris at ready-set-go.biz> wrote:
<snip>
> Christopher, if you were to modify Wes's list, how would you do it?  Just TS
> and TV?  Or some other breakdown -- perhaps with sub-items?

Yes, I might split it at the top level in some way like that; the
point was that TS is totally fundamental to any templating task in
Typo3. Without TS, your options in TV become quite limited: no image
manipulation, no dynamically generated or selected data, no
navigation...you might as well build a static site.

There are different tools available for non-TV templating (notably the
autoparser and template selector, though IMO, the latter is much
inferior to TV's template selector), but it's still all TS. For
example, if you take this from the MTB tutorial [1]:

# Template content object:
temp.mainTemplate = TEMPLATE
temp.mainTemplate {
  template = FILE
  template.file = fileadmin/template/test.html
}

...or this from the GoLive tutorial [2]:

page = PAGE
page.typeNum = 0

page.10 = TEMPLATE
page.10.template = FILE
page.10.template.file = fileadmin/tmplpage.html

...it might seem to beginners that you're dealing with TS _and_ HTML
templates and that this is somehow significantly different from using
only TS, but this is not quite right. The tutorial would work every
bit as well if it looked like this:

# Template content object:
temp.mainTemplate = TEMPLATE
temp.mainTemplate {
  template = HTML
  template {
    value (
<head>
	<title>Untitled</title>
</head>
<!-- ###DOCUMENT_BODY### -->
	<h1>
		<!-- ###INSIDE_HEADER### -->
			Header of the page
		<!-- ###INSIDE_HEADER### -->
	</h1>
<!-- ###DOCUMENT_BODY### -->
    )
  }
}

So this is what I mean when I say that it's not quite correct to make
a point of distinguishing strictly between, say, the 'golive' and
'mtb' methods.

-Christopher

[1] http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_tut_templselect/Basics_of_the_TEMPLA/
[2] http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_tut_n1/Setting_up_an_ordina/