[TYPO3-UG US] templating preferences in typo3

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 07:28:14 CET 2005

On 23/11/05, virgil huston <virgil.huston at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would really like to see a discussion on this, myself. It could really
> help the Learning Typo3 effort big time. This confuses lots of people.

One of the things that I've noticed with respect to templating in
Typo3 that seems to confuse people, is the fact that the different
approaches are commonly referred to as though they were fundamentally
different methods. But this is not, strictly speaking, true; no
sophisticated templating work will be possible in Typo3 without coming
to terms with Typoscript, and once you're at home with Typoscript, all
of the templating approaches suddenly make sense.

I notice, for example, that Wes characterizes options 1 and 3 in his
list as different, when it's far from obvious that this is true...

The differences in templating approaches have, IMHO, more to do with
the workflow demanded by the project or agency, who will be
maintaining what, and how the BE is to be used.

For example, if one person will be implementing the design and
interactive portions of a site, then 'pure TS' makes a lot of sense;
if the design is coming from an outside agency, and perhaps if the
project needs extreme design flexibility or a BE that more closely
reflects the layout of the FE, TemplaVoila will probably be best. But
in both cases, there's going to be all kids of TS built in--the main
difference will be that the TV method will use few if any TEMPLATE
objects (IMO, the MTB approach is inferior to either TS alone or
TV...)

-Christopher