[TYPO3-UG US] questions / concerns about typo3.us

Zach Davis zach at castironcoding.com
Mon Nov 7 23:02:08 CET 2005

Jennifer, et al:

There's been a lot of back and forth discussion on this list. I've been
watching and not contributing much, mainly because I've been busy and
haven't had a chance to.

I can't speak for others, but I suspect that there are many freelancers
and agencies that would be willing to help out, given some instructions
on what to do. I'm certainly happy to build a custom extension or two if
that would help -- and I see that my name is on the schedule to work
with Greg to implement the template in XHTML / CSS. I'm ready to get
started on this as soon as I get a design from which to work.

I do have one question / concern -- there may be a lot of folks working
on this project, potentially, who may not be putting up a case study and
who may not want to pay $250, $500, $1000, $2000 or whatever to be on a
list of consultants, especially the freelancers among us (assuming this
idea is still on the table -- maybe it was shelved and I missed it). How
is typo3.us going to represent the agencies and freelancers who spend
time developing the typo3.us template, editing documentation, putting
together industry specific packages, developing custom extensions, etc?

Obviously, I'm all for giving back to the community and whatnot --
goodness knows I've put hundreds of hours into the forum with almost not
monetary compensation. I see this typo3.us site primarily as a marketing
venture, as others do, I gather, and as such I'm wondering how we
foresee it helping the freelancers and agencies involved in its
creation? Is the idea that it will generally promote typo3 in the
states, which helps everyone (is this necessarily true? Will the little
guy benefit as much as the big guy?), or will people who help build it
be rewarded primarily through advertising spots on the site (in this
case, who will decide who gets the primo spots? Will there be a process
for this?). Will there be a contact form on the site that people who are
interested in finding a developer fill out (who decides who gets first
shot at the job? Who's checking the email for the contact address?).

If all these questions have been asked and answered, and I'm just being
dense and/or negligent in following the newsgroup, please forgive me.

best,
Zach