[TYPO3-UG US] Project Content: be the first on your block to adopt a page

Jennifer Lynch jennifer at tekdevelopment.com
Sun Nov 6 21:20:51 CET 2005

On 11/6/05 12:27 PM, "Gregory Remington" <greg at mediatech.net> wrote:

> Please remove the word "linking"... that was a typo :)Agreed, however
> using the European sites does open our eyes to other considerations. At
> the moment I'm assessing TYPO3's general market value and these European
> ecommerce sites are invaluable to a client project I am currently
> getting paid for. We should not totaly ignore the value of the European
> market as a presentation tool.
>
> Example: http://timex.de

> Have we exhausted the usefulness of
> http://typo3.org/about/sites-made-with-typo3/ to locate new English web
> speaking web sites?

Why don't we simply write up the sites we've done and the solutions we've
found?  We need these things in the format given; you're going to need
permissions to write up/edit  case studies on the European sites and their
final approval before publishing.  Far easier to just write up our own.
Later, we can provide links of suitable Eur. sites as examples.  But again,
you're starting at the bottom of the Roadmap.  What we need now is pages at
the top finished.

> Can we begin by publicly displaying only pages with content on them and
> keep the rest hidden so we can continue to work on them? The site will
> be appear more useful to visitors that contain information... not to
> mention Google ;)

Of course we won¹t be putting up unfinished pages; but again, this means
that it¹s most important to get the pages at the top of the Roadmap done
first.  We can add ancillary and sub-pages later as they¹re completed, but
it¹s imperative that we make a real effort to get the content as laid out
completed by May.  Trading theories and speculating about possibilities can
be fun, but it doesn¹t get the site built.  To me, spending time hunting for
suitable Eur. sites is like taking a vacation to Europe to find just the
right Louis XIV table for a dining room back home that you haven¹t even
built yet.  Let¹s get the local construction done, get a house built, and
move in before we have cozy little chats around the fire about adding on an
aviary.

> Organized and well-written of course. The documentation should help be
> short and not wordy. My personal preference is to keep the presentation
> geared to be used in a sales pitch for both IT and layman ;)

The support and products section will be for the IT folks.  The solutions
section and customer section will be for the layman.  ALL parts of the site
will feed into marketing.  If, that is, they ever get written.

>> All of these solutions and case studies are not e-commerce sites.  For me,
>> and I think for all of those who seriously want to see our US site done, the
>> main priority is to WRITE CONTENT and get it in.
>
> Sure. I have isolated quite a few ecommerce sites for another project.
> After seeing the list I recommend paying close attention to sites
> created by WEBFORMAT TYPO3 shop system extension.
>
> http://webformat.com/en/home/index.html
> http://www.prleap.com/pr/14121/
>
> Case study:
> http://webformat.com/en/portfolio/shirleyit/index.html#275
>
> http://www.beachworld.it
> http://www.medesy.it
>

>> More gruel please, our pages are starving.
>
> I'm still on research and data collection duty. I have requirements for
> research and business sales. If it helps motivate anyone here use the
> opportunity for this project to brush up on your business objectives and
> think how Typo3.us will help you meet them.
>
> For example I'm a lot more focused on helping out with content
> pertaining to ecommerce and related extensions because that is how I
> make money. Michelle is very focused on Education, etc.

Understandable.  So pick a page in the e-commerce/related extensions
sections of the site and go for it.  I think everyone can be motivated by
the fact that the completed site will substantially increase their business
through solid support and marketing.  I think it¹s also really motivating to
be working on a worthwhile project that supports the open source community
and the CMS that makes our businesses possible.  Personally, I think it¹s
exciting to be in at the beginning of the boom of TYPO3 in the US.  I¹m
pretty sure that if we put up this site we¹ll further that boom beyond
anyone¹s expectations.  We can all ride the wave once it¹s started, but not
unless we¹re the ones out their on our surfboards and not the ones
speculating on the beach.

> The end result of this project will most likely reassemble the needs of
> its authors ;)
> > Greg

If you¹re going to be writing good marketing and support documents, you¹d
better be adopting the perspective of the audiences we¹re targeting, not
your own needs.  Otherwise, you¹re just writing the site for yourself‹we¹d
like to hit a bigger audience than that.  Our own needs as companies will be
met by providing a site that motivates people to use TYPO3 and that has your
company¹s name and case studies on the pages.  It better resemble the
customers and developers¹ needs.

Jennifer