[TYPO3-UG Australia] corrupted database with Extension Key: flash_pageheader

Paul Sanderson pauls at iibsc.com
Mon Apr 24 04:10:49 CEST 2006

Hi Cate,

Cate Deans Smith wrote:
> Hi all .. and HELP! :-)
>

> While installing some extensions, I installed the flash_pageheader
> extension, and something has corrupted the database - I am wondering how I
> might be able to manually check and maybe undo the problem.
>

> At present I can no longer access any part of the site, including the
> backend log in page or anything ... it has completely locked me out of web
> access.  All I see is a blank page.
>

> I may have to completely reinstall it all, but just before I did that, I
> thought someone else might have used the extension, and can tell me which
> tables it altered or whatever, maybe I can go in through phpMyadmin or
> something and fix it up?

Have you looked using the Install Tool. It has a database analyser which
is there to assist with upgrading TYPO3. It is also a very useful tool
in troubleshooting any database issues.

Next to Update required tables is the COMPARE link. If you click on that
it will tell you want tables and fields in your database do not match
the current set of SQL structure commands present in the current list of
your installed extensions.

If flash_pageheader caused this issue and you can't solve it by using
the COMPARE link above what you might need to do next is a little bit
harder. You will need to edit the localconf.php file to comment out or
remove manually from the list the commands that cause flash_pageheader
to be loaded.

Most TYPO3 extensions should not cause any problems like this, however,
on occasions, since there are so many developers working independently,
one may write something that might cause such an issue or conflict with
SQL table definitions.

The causes of such issues might be many. There might be something unique
about the combination of extensions on your site. What makes your site
special? What DB enviroment is TYPO3 being run on: check the bug tracker
for any issues related to your current version of your DBMS e.g.
different MySQL versions in the last year have caused a number of issues.

To avoid such issues on a time constrained project it is best to stick
to the set of extensions you know well and have tested. Read the
Extension developer comments in the TER and the forums. Did they write a
manual? Do they sound like they are experienced at what they are doing?
I'm sure Roger and many on this list would agree that the number of
extensions out there is larger than most of us can ever take the time to
get to know inside-out. If one considers the number of combinations,
then possibly your combination of extensions is unique.

Open Source Software, in general, has amazing array of choice and in the
level productivity it gives you for the price, i.e. GNU GPLed being
free. However, with that freedom, there comes with it a need to know a
little more about the systems you are using which you seem well on the
way to doing. I'm sure you are familiar with proprietary software, and
that paying for software doesn't mean you are getting what you need nor
does guarantee it will work either.

I'd recommend if you are working on a critical project and are wanting
to add an extension you are unfamiliar with you should setup a test bed
installation where you can run all the extensions you need in a
duplicate environment, without the risk of losing so much time.

> :-) looking forward to help :-)
>
> Cate

Best regards,
--

Paul Sanderson - iibscdev
Web: http://www.iibsc.com  Email: info at iibsc.com
RBN: BN18722659            ABN:  48 616 900 528
Mob/SMS: 0414 183 404
Post: P.O. Box 580 Fortitude Valley Q 4006 Australia