[TYPO3-UG Australia] TYPO3-UG-australia Digest, Vol 18, Issue 4

remji at iinet.net.au remji at iinet.net.au
Sun Apr 23 18:11:00 CEST 2006

Hi fellow typos,

Fairly new to Typo3 myself. Came across it when checking out the
Fantastico script installer on my reseller hosting account. For one that
made the basic install quite easy. Then I downloaded the following
manuals: Getting Started, Modern Template Building, and Installation and
Upgrade.

A definite advantage of Typo3 over Mambo is the workflow feature. Where
the maintenance of a site is a collective effort and different
collaborators have different roles, I feel that workflow is a must-have.

Another advantage of Typo3 over Mambo is the very clean separation of
layout and content. The Modern Template Building manual and the plug-ins
mentioned in it are a great help to convert a HTML-page with CSS coding to
a Typo3 template.

Unfortunately the Fantastico script installer didn't follow the Typo3
installation guidelines. It installed the source directory as a
subdirectory of the content directory. If I understand the guidelines
correctly, both directories should have been at the same level. That would
have made two things easier to achieve: several sites using the same
source code and upgrading to newer versions of Typo3. BTW, this only works
with Unix, where you can use symlinks, and not with Windows.

So the next step was to delve into the concept of symlinks which I had
never even heard about. The required symlinks are in the Installation and
Upgrade manual. After some trial and error I succeeded in issuing the
symlinks with PHP scripts and found that it works best to run the commands
in hierarchical order, starting with the typo3_src link to the source code
directory. Having now the correct directory set-up, future updates should
be straightforward.

Well, that's how far I got at the moment. Still heaps to learn. But it
feels worhwhile.

Remy
Good Hope, NSW