[Typo3-UG Australia] Breaking DB

Paul Sanderson pauls at iicservices.com
Thu Jun 17 04:33:50 CEST 2004

Hi Bernie,

I've replied to your technical questions in a separate email, but have replied to general chit chat here.

"Bernie (VRgrafix)" <bernie at vrgrafix.com.au> wrote in message news:mailman.3284.1087436908.6288.typo3-ug-australia at lists.netfielders.de...
> G'day Paul !
>
> > it's nice to hear from other users in the same geographical area
> my oath ! I was stoked when I saw an australian UG list - I was a bit
> hesitant joining though as the archive is quiet and 2003 data only.
> Great to see its active ! :)

Yes. I am hoping it's only growing. But this has been a quiet list. I see Typo3 is very big in Europe. I get the feeling Typo3 has only just matured into a worldwide developer community. Hence, it's a good thing to be a part of if one's work involves anything to do with the Internet.

> > Typo3. IMHO it's another golden thread of Open Source Software movement.
> Indeed - I've fiddled with postNuke and PHPNuke - but neither offered
> the sort of CMS I was after ! Typo3 however - what can I say !? WOW !
> Its EXACTLY what I would like to delve into - but like anything, I'm
> flat out busy on a million projects and finding time to go through the
> tutes / learn it is at a premium :/ Hence - I apologies in advance for
> any gumby "newbie" questions I might put forward ;P

No. Nothing's 'gumby'. That's not what the free software movement is about. Explaining OSS (Open Source Software) to my girlfriend, the best comparison I could make for her (she's a doctor) is that like doctors, we can freely share information on procedures to make things better for everyone, but we make our money by hiring out our expertise, for which people pay us to utilise. The value distributed in each of us rather than some product behind a vault. On the www.typo3.com pages they also talk about the difference between commerical products and OSS is that OSS is not dependant upon one individual or one company. It's strenght lies in it's Internet community. That's another thing that's drawn me to Typo3.

>  > Sorry if I'm being preachy, but even
>  > experts (assuming you might be one) sometimes forget the simple things.
> LOL - I'm far from an expert Paul ! I know my applications, CAD, 3D,
> dreamweaver and HTML - but when it comes to databases and Linux - I'm a
> little in the dark. I've got fellow dedicated 'ix users and DB
> associates - but like everyone, they are busy and many are O/seas. So
> please preach away - I'm here to learn and will take any nuggets of info
> with hard earned appreciation :)

Sure sounds like you work in an interesting place. I'm a consultant, so my associates are all consultants. I sometimes think it'd be nice to work within a company, but I'm hoping one day I can make my own company of dedicated professionals in the Web/eCommerce arena, if I'm successful enough. I think nowadays, a lot of success depends on building good associations with other experts. There's so much too learn, and things are evolving so fast that no one individual can hope to keep up with it all and still have anything resembling a life.

> > I run my Typo3 installations on FreeBSD webhosts,
> Hmm.. Lost me there - Is that a Linux install ?

Well, no FreeBSD is another thread of Free Unix OSs. Originally came from a university, Berkeley Software Design, that are now a company. There are at least 4 different 'flavours' of freely available BSD operating systems. Because of it's reputation for security it's run by a lot of web hosts like mine ( http://www.ununetworks.com/ ). There are a LOT of free OSS  Operating Systems out there now.