[TYPO3-translators] Implement voting on pootle to improve translation-progress

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri May 17 11:34:48 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 16-5-2013 15:35, Michael Bakonyi wrote:
> A few a months ago I asked in the pootle-malinglist if there's kind of a
> voting-feature available which makes it possible to accept translations
> if a certain amount of votings is reached. They said, that there was a
> plugin for pootle which can make this possible.
>
> So I'd like to discuss here which are the advantages and disadvantages
> of this possiblity.

A big disadvantage is of course: quality. The "admins" also have a role
to make sure that the translations use the same terms as the rest of the
translations use for a certain word and the same form of the sentence is
used (examples: "You can delete this files" / "This file can be
deleted"; formal/informal language; a button is labelled "next" and the
description says to click "advance").

Looking at the lack of manpower for translations, especially on the part
of the "admins" (a bit of an unlucky term, because they usually have
limited power too) justifies the question if we currently should give
priority to quantity (more translation suggestions make it to the actual
translations) than to quality (someone makes sure the right forms and
the right terms are used).

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor