[TYPO3-translators] Implement voting on pootle to improve translation-progress

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at translate.org.za
Wed Jul 3 12:13:45 CEST 2013

On 2 July 2013 09:22, Michael Bakonyi <kontakt at mb-neuemedien.de> wrote:

> Hi Dwayne,
>
> thanks a lot for jumping in our discussion! :)
>

> > Michael raised this issue on the Pootle list.  We've had some discussion
> > and I think I've raised my concerns and we thought of some ways to work
> > around the classic problem of votes!=quality, won't eliminate it but at
> > least could results in locked translations being unlocked.  There are
> some
> > discussions to move Pootle to be more social and this would fit within
> that
> > mandate.
>
> From my point of view this would be a good compromise and worth trying.
> Any feedback from anybody else?
>

> > What needs doing on Pootle
> > ======================
> > Quick list:

Let me explain each one as Michael suggested

> > 1) Extending voting to all projects not just terminology

We currently use a Django voting module but only on terminology projects.
We need to enable it generally so that any project on a Pootle server can
have voting.

> > 2) Add it to the current translation

Voting is currently only enabled for suggestions, without a vote for the
current translation you run the risk of changing translations because
nobody can vote for the status quo.

> > 3) Allow it to be enabled or disabled for the site

Since some people simply disagree with voting we need to allow this to be
switched off, we'll do this site-wide to reduce to reduce the coding
required.

> > 4) Add logic to autoadvance units

This would allow a suggestion to be advanced to a translation if it met
some criteria, e.g. N difference from any other vote, N days in that
state.  We will also use this part to make sure that logic around what we
do with votes and suggestions once they are accepted, i.e. do we remove
reset to zero.

> For me this quick-spec sounds reasonable as we talked about it already. If
> it's not too much effort could you please explain the single points to the
> people in this list with just one or two sentences?
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

Dwayne

*Translate*