[TYPO3-translators] Re: [TYPO3-core] FYI Fixed issue #16857: Refine new labels in pages and tt_content TCE forms

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Jan 3 19:01:06 CET 2011

Am 28.12.2010 01:03, schrieb Steffen Kamper:
> Hi,
>
> thx for this huge work!
>
> vg Steffen

On the one hand, yes - thx for this huge work.
On the other hand it has been overshooting the mark since the principle
we defined at T3UXW, which had been implemented already, now has been
reverted again with this patch.

The rule for labels was to remove stuff like "enable" or "disable"
completely and try to build sentences that describe what is going to
happen, when the editor changes a selectbox or a checkbox.

It's not about the removal of the "double negation", which is a good
thing, but about changing a combination like:

Include Subpages
[ ] Enable

to something more understandable like:

Inherit time and rights settings
[ ] on subpages

The second one clearly describes what is going to happen, while the
first one does not. Additionally the second version makes it possible to
have extension authors easily add checkboxes and labels to existing
fields like this:

Editable for
[ ] Admins only
[ ] Chief Editors

instead of the current version

Editable for Admins only
[ ] Enabled

I expected the "Redefinition" to happen on a linguistic level, so that
the native speakers make sure, that the sentence built by the modernized
version makes sense. But what we got now is exactly the old school
version again, which is not what we were aiming for according to these
rules and descriptions:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-tca_cleanup/wiki

I will post this to the typo3.translation.general list as well, to make
sure that the translators will be aware of these results of the T3UXW.
Follow up is set to typo3.translation.general so that we can discuss
things there.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian