[TYPO3-translators] Local Translation Tool for Core and Ext-Devs

Marcus Schwemer typo3 at schwemer.de
Tue Aug 30 23:13:09 CEST 2011

Hi Dominique,

thanks for your response.

Am 30.08.11 20:08, schrieb Dominique Feyer:

> Virtaal is a bit unstable now,

Yes and this is the main reason for me to think about it. Virtaal itself
has many dependencies that may work for some OSs (mostly for Linux).
Under MacOS (at least) the GUI is not really usable.

> but Virtaal offer some really great
> feature (translation memory, automatic suggestion).

Those features are really useful. Apropos translation memory: Is it
possible to add a default file (coming out of our terminology project)?

> It's amaizing all the energy around TYPO3 translation but here my
> question is why a Firefox extension ? What feature are missing in Virtaal ?

It's not about features ... and probably I underestimate the power of
virtaal. My motivation is the usabilty for the average (extension)
author. It should be easily usable including the most needed functions.

Why a Firefox addon?
- There is only one code basis for all platforms.
- It can be developed well known techniques: HTML, CSS, JS (incl.
Frameworks)
- Most (all?) devs have a FF installed.

Missing features (some are dreams ;-) )?

- Create a new localization by mouseclick prefilled with lang source

- Create a new base language file without to hassle with wellformed xml.
(I did not like llxml either ;-)

- Project management: Scan a directory and subdirectories for xlf files
and save it. Open all xlf files at once or at least get a file list. The
idea behind is to maintain the overview over a project. Consider an
extension with many plugins. Every plugin has is's own locallang.xlf

- Add new labels and source to xlf across all languages

- Scan a project directory for labels and add missing ones

- "Automatic" down- and upload of xlf-files from and to the translation
server

> extdeveval offre LLXML to XLIFF conversion and the fresh "xliff"
> extension (available in TER) offer backward compatibility for TYPO3 4.5
> and earlier.

I saw that and I think it's really important, but this is not the use I
intended.

> I think that we need one really important tool now, an automatic
> extrator to extract label directly from code and build the english XLIFF
> file (create, update, ...).

See above ;-) But not only the english one but all other existing
languages too.

> After that I think that Virtaal (or other
> commercial translation tools are enought for the translation process).

Who of the extension devs can afford a commercial translation tool. All
other opensource tools seem to not be actively developed any more or are
even removed from the web shortly.

> But maybe I'm wrong ?

Me too ;-) That's why I'm asking.

I would go ahead if there are some positive reactions out of the community.

Cheers,
Marcus