[TYPO3-translators] Trimming of the translation values

Yolf yolf.typo3 at orange.fr
Wed Apr 22 21:57:50 CEST 2009

Dmitry Dulepov a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> Yolf wrote:
>> I'm not talking about formatting but having a localization tag ending by
>> one space because you add something after. It an alternative solution of
>> introducing the space using concatenation.
>
> I do not understand :( If you mean strings like "Page " and " of ", than this is a good example of how NOT to create texts for translations. In some language there is no such thing as "of" and the whole thing will not make sense. Such phrases should be translated as one sentence: "Page $1%d of $2%d". Than translators can make the best equivalents.
>
> I used to learn Finnish and if I remember correctly, it does not have prepositions at all. So they will translate the above phrase differently than English speakers can imagine. If anyone from the Finnish team is watching, how would you write "Page 5 of 10" in Finnish? :)

It's not the case I was thinking about.
An example is :
An error was detected in the extension: myExtensionName.
The localisation tag is : "An error was detected in the extension: "
followed by $this->extKey for example.

Another example is when you have a default tag that may be changed by
typoscript in your ext.
X test (the localization tag is "X " and the message comes from a variable)
.test could be a possible writting (tag becomes ".")
-test also (tag becomes "-")
test also (tag becomes "")