[TYPO3-translators] How does it work (general)?

Marcus 'biesior' Biesioroff vsbies at wp.pl
Sat Apr 4 13:47:39 CEST 2009

>> No... But you are welcome to write them ;)
>
> OK. I will make some test then and try to write.

this is my version of guidline, please verify it (and correct if needed)
and I will put unto the wiki.typo3.org:

Export/Merge option usage

It’s good practice to make and test your translation on local machine or
  other own implementation of TYPO3, because you can test and validate
translation results immediately on working extension. What is more you
have a sure that no any other translator will  overwrite your work, in
time, when you’ll go for next coffee cup.
  After you finish your job, use “Re-generate cached information” option
and next “Export”. In the last step you have to choose all translated
files clicking them with CTRL button pressed down. Remember that there
are two groups of translation files for most of extensions, first is
standard functionality translation file which is available in the first
part of files list, second is CSH (Content Sensitive Help) which are
placed at the bottom of the list (after CSH marker). Make sure that you
choose all files for the extension from both groups and click export
button. Save generated file on your HDD.

In next step login into translation server and choose “Merge” option
from top select field. After page reload select the language (if it’s
other then you translated), point the file saved on your HDD for upload
and check the “Show only which files are inside” checkbox, to make sure
that you are uploading only appropriate files and click “Upload
merge-file”. It’s important because if by mistake you’ll upload files
from other extension which isn’t translated yet on your own machine, you
can overwrite the job of other translators!

If you are sure, that *.ser merge-file contains only the correct files
use again the “Upload merge-file” field to point the export file, but
this time without “Show only which files are inside” checkbox and upload
it once again. After file uploading is finished, click “Save” button,
choose “Translate file” option from top select-field, choose the
extension for which you send the files and use “Re-generate cached
information” for finish the merge job.