[TYPO3-translators] Update wiki : term which shouldn't be translated?

Christian Hennecke hennecke at pointblank-edv.de
Mon Oct 15 16:41:54 CEST 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:08:20 -0400, Patrick Gaumond wrote:

>> This a minor update in wiki about "Don't translate terms" :
>> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Translations#Translation_guidelines
>>
>> Backend and Frontend.
>>
>> Are you agree ?
>
>I do agree with those 2.
>
>On the other hand, when is it going to end? I mean Workspace could also
>  be added, Mountpoints and probably others...
>
>I know that Workspace is seldomly translated into french and that
>"Espace de travail" is used but what is the limit ?
>
>How our German friends handle this ?

When I checked the German translations a few days ago, I came upon a
few things where I was wondering about that too.

So far, "frontend" and "backend" haven't been translated, because there
is no good translation and they are commonly used computer terms
anyway. So that makes sense.

However, there are other cases:

- "Template" is such a thing. Some people translated it and some kept
it. The German "Vorlage" is quite fitting IMO, so I changed every
occurance for consistency.

- Another is "map" or "mapping" as used by TemplaVoilà. That hasn't
been translated so far, but since the German "abbilden" exactly
describes what is done, I used the translation.

- "Workspace" hasn't been translated so far, although "Arbeitsumgebung"
is quite fitting.

IMO it all depends on whether there's a good translation or not. The
thing is that the availability of good translations varies with the
target language, and "good" can be quite subjective. One man's good
translation might cause another to think of the language purification
attempts in Nazi Germany.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards

Christian Hennecke

point blank edv-beratung und service
Frank Berke und Christian Hennecke GbR
Lenbachstraße 9