[TYPO3-translators] a list of translators at typo3.org

Krystian Szymukowicz t33kRE.MO.VE. at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Mon May 28 16:21:34 CEST 2007

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Krystian Szymukowicz wrote:
>> Maybe you have your own ideas - please share it here. When we collect
>> them and will set common solution I would like to create a feature
>> request at bugtracker.
>
> I do not think that logging in under single user name is good in any way.

Me either. In my plan login under single name will be only, lets say,
for about 1 months until everyone will create their account themselves.
Then it will be deleted.

> Groups should be created for each language manually
> They should be empty.

Hmmm...populating it with existing single username have some advantages.
This existing user and password is known for every translator so he can
login and create account with his login and his data (first name, last
name, email, password). Then after some time the single username will be
deleted. From then every translator who like to have account will have
to ask one of the existing translators to add him.

> Than a person, who really wants to participate in translation,
> should send personal e-mail to a designated person asking to add to the
> group. Then he recives confirmation with login/password. Login should be
> mostly standard, something like first name initial and sirname. BE user
> record should also include e-mail and full name in case if this person
> has to be contacted. Translator must understand and accept that he can
> be contacted this way.

In your concept we are back with chief translator - in this case it is
person who is creating users belonging to his group. Is this necessary?
Why can not every member of group have possibility to create account?

As Michael wrote:
----------
"People aren't going to be always plenty, highly professional and with
lots of free time on their hands.
Usually those who are doing considerable work were quite shy
a few years ago, and those who do most of work are often retired
in several years (mostly due to burning out)."
----------

So active chief translator can be inactive after while. In my concept
every translator has its own account and is belonging to proper group
and every translator has equal rights - that means every translator can
create as much account belonging to his group as he wants. No chief
translator is needed.
Just look that after a year from TER2 there has been no real problem
with no chief translator and only one login existing (or maybe there was
problem but not in my translator group?). The only real problem caused
by one login is lack of translators list that will allow proper
communication.

+

> It would be good also to provide public translation statistic for each
> language.
+++

> I would say that setting it all up and creating extension will take one
> day. Managing it all is a different matter. It requires a person, who is
>  online most of the time and willing to spend some time adding users to
> groups (takes less than 5 minutes).

I strongly ask you to think over my concept once again :) In my concept
there is no need for chief translator and no one have to be online to
create users.
And the result is the same in you concept and mine - the list of
translators with theirs emails.

I think the real question here is: does we need chief translator or not?
I think that just for adding new users there is no need for chief trans.

Chief translator would be needed only if we would like to rebuild the
workflow that was in TER 1.0. (where chief was accepting all
translations before they were published)

--
greetings
Krystian Szymukowicz