[TYPO3-translators] New extension static_info_tables_ga for galician language

Manuel Rego Casasnovas mrego at igalia.com
Wed Aug 1 22:04:57 CEST 2007

Hello everyone,

I work in Igalia, a free software company from Galicia at north-west of
Spain; in this region we talk in galician [1] is our official language
together with spanish.

We've developed a new extension static_info_tables_ga in which we
translate the static tables to galician, but we have a problem because
galician isn't supported by Typo3 core.
I've uploaded this extension to the Typo3 Extension Repository and we
explain the solution for the problem above in the README.txt file [2].

Basically the problem is that the ISO code for galician is 'gl' but in
Typo3 the code 'gl' is for the greenlandic language [3]. We've decided
to use the code 'ga' for galician, and we create two patches to add this
code in the Typo3 core. Really we don't know if this is the better code
for galician because 'ga' is the ISO code for irish language. Maybe
we'll have to change 'ga' for 'gz' or another code, but this isn't a
problem.

We use this extension and these patches to develop our projects, because
our customers request to us web sites in galician language.
I think that will be a good idea add support for galician in the Typo3 core.

What is your opinion about that?
Which is the best code to use in Typo3 for galician?

Best regards,
   Rego

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galician_language
[2] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/static_info_tables_ga/3.0.0/