[TYPO3-hci] amount and frequency of changes in BE

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Thu Feb 3 12:10:29 CET 2011

Hi Silke,

> I have to disagree. The success of TYPO3 which we saw in the past won't
> make it to the future without change. And especially usability was one
> of the weakest points of TYPO3.

Yes, I also disagree, although some of your points are valid, of course.

Changes are bad for creatures of habit and power users. And for
documentation - even our own!

Many people think of TYPO3 as the "slowly evolving usability skunk" -
and, of course, there are many issues and we try to rule some out with
each release (without introducing new ones.. mostly..).

I replied to one of my "power editors" an hour ago, which also
complained about changes. But that's how it is with software updates.
Sometimes there are more "improvements" (Office 2003 -> 2007), sometimes
there are fewer (2007 -> 2010).
Dependent on how you are used to old interfaces, you will call it
improvement or disimprovement.

Advantage with TYPO3: You can rearrange and rename all the fields to
stay with the alignment of 4.4.

Kind regards
Steffen

--