[TYPO3-hci] amount and frequency of changes in BE

Silke Arend sa at externes-management.de
Wed Feb 2 15:20:48 CET 2011

Hi,

I really appreciate that core developers consider usability when working
on TYPO3 updates. Yet, I am honestly wondering if these many changes in
the backend really contribute to user-friendliness. In the new TYPO3
v4.5, the fields are said to be arranged according to their importance,
i.e. how often they are used in daily work. This approach might be
helpful in most cases and probably good for new TYPO3 users, but it is
not considerate of editors already working with TYPO3 for a long time.
Experienced editors will have developed certain routines in their daily
BE work. After an update, they have to look for the new place of each
field and to rethink their fast working strategies.

Another change I find confusing is for example the 'globe' icon not
being used for representing the root of the installation anymore, but
for representing single web sites (already since TYPO3 v4.4). Whenever I
explained customers a function lying in the root, I told them to go to
that 'globe' icon. If they did this after an update, they would not find
the functions they are looking for anymore. Just like that, all changes
of the well-known BE icons tend to be confusing for experienced TYPO3
editors.

At the same time, all changes mean a lot of work for everyone doing
trainings or producing videos, written instructions and so on, as all
material needs to be updated after an TYPO3 update as well.

After taking into account the input of several people using TYPO3 on a
regular basis, I would like to suggest to limit future changes of
labels, icons, field order in forms and the like to things that are real
improvements instead of being just "a bit better or nicer".

Kind regards,

Silke