[TYPO3-hci] Visual feedback on clicks

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Jun 12 15:32:22 CEST 2008

Hi,

since 4.2 the BE is way much slower in client side, because of the heavy
use of JavaScript (I suppose). Clicking in Web>Page used to be almost
"instant" in 3.8, whereas on the same machine and same client the same
procedure now takes "seconds" to load all relevant frames, depending on
the amount of pages on the tree (maybe this can be improved?).

While I understand that we need to go on improving the usability and
such "gimnicks" are part of the process, I would like to see more visual
feedback on clicks I do in the backend. At least a different
mouse-pointer (hourglass) while stuff is being processed.

Currently I have to keep an eye on the browsers "waving flag" to see if
I clicked and it is still doing something or if I just missed to click
and it is doing nothing.

There must be some kind of generic way of doing such mouse-pointer
actions in the BE. And that generic framework should even allow the
developer to simply add a progress bar somewhere (e.g. when I click on
Update-Extensions in the Install-Tool it takes ages and I have no clue
what is happening).

What do you think?

Cheers,
Ernesto