[TYPO3-hci] Extension Manager - Usability

Sudara Williams sudara at web-crossing.com
Wed Apr 11 12:26:58 CEST 2007

My thoughts:

It would be a mistake to treat Usability as a separate 'project' from Core or any other project - it needs to be integrated into every project and become a part of the process of development.

If there is a usability issue/enhancement with TER, it should be listed as a problem with TER, because it IS a problem with TER.

Keeping the usability ideas and the enhancements separate would lead to more of the same problem - poor usability. Designing and Usability testing needs to become a way of life in the current dev cycle, and not something to think about after the fact or separately.

I like the wiki idea - it is already there, lets fill it up.

It seems like we really need:

 a) for small stuff: patches to various projects and submit them to the correct bugtracker
 b) for big stuff and future development: there is no way around working with the willing developers on making their features more usable and sexy

We need to have the usability conversations WITH the developers. We should have the conversations there, post the notes there, talk about the different options there, invite them to participate, and asking for feedback for what is possible.

There is nothing to fear - if you do not program, post up your PSD, or describe the interaction you desire.

We need to work hand in hand with the folks who are committing changes daily. Eventually, after 'proving' oneself to the Core team (via patches), it would be useful to have a Usability freak who is trusted with commit rights to make this process smoother and even more ideally, be a part of feature planning.

my thoughts!

greetings from Innsbruck!
Sudara