[TYPO3-hci] Extension Manager - Usability

Benjamin Mack mack at xnos.org
Mon Apr 2 18:39:09 CEST 2007

Hey,

one thing that bugs me a lot in the last couple of weeks is the
Extension Manager and its usability. As far as the HCI.pdf and the Wiki
(I guess) it is not covered yet.

As the functionality is pretty good, it does not suit the needs we have
today anymore. I am listing a couple of the things that embarass me in
no particular order:

* I am finding myself very often confused between "Loaded Extensions"
and "Install Extensions" since the loaded exts are shown in the other
list as well. We could fit that all in one list.

* I am also convinced that every new TYPO3 user gotta understand the
difference between "Install Extensions" and "Import Extensions", where
"Install Extensions" means to install a locally available ext where
Import means to connect to ter.

* I almost always install "TER Update Check" extension, it would be nice
integrate this important feature closer to the existing code.

* Who uses the "look up" features at the "loaded extensions" page? I
stick to the firefox search here... ;-)

That's why I would suggest these rearrangements:

* Getting tabs going instead of the clumsy dropdown.

* One place to manage installed extensions ("Configure Loaded
Extensions"). On this page there would be a button on top "Check for
updates",

* One place to install new extensions ("Install new Extensions"), which
is either from an already locally available ext, one that needs to be
imported first or one you can upload.

* One tab for the "Settings" field that includes /all/ settings related
to the EM, so there is no need to choose for "Display shy" etc. in every
single page anymore.

* One tab for the existing "Translation Handling" feature as it is right
now (works for me mostly).

* An always available search field for extensions that searches the key,
the name AND the description. If it finds the exact key and the
extension is installed, it jumps directly to the extension details to
configure the ext. If there are multiple results, then we'll get a list
that is similar to the existing "Import Extensions => Look up" search.

What do you think?

I am hoping to provide some first HTML mockups soon.

--
greetings,
benni.

www.xnos.de // www.xnos.org