[TYPO3-hci] Open Source usability sucks?

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Wed Sep 27 01:53:10 CEST 2006

Hello Christopher,

> Erik Svendsen wrote:
>
>> To Tapios point with bad labels. He may have a point, but I don't
>> know how many times i have found labels nearly impossible to
>> understand in commersial software. But in most Open Source can I
>> change the label, something thats impossible in commersial software.
>> Else, to me "unlink" are perfect, because it exaxtly what it does
>> (and not delete).
>>
> Well, this is a usability issue too--in fact it illustrates both
> points rather nicely:

I didn't say that it's not. But you missed the important point, here has
Open Source a better usability, because it's easier to change the value of
a label. Else, labels are very often a difficult issue, because even different
end users may have different interpretations of the same label. As I said,
to me "unlink" are perfect, but that doesn't mean it perfect for the other
99 % (or 10 %, or 60 %).

> "2. Open Source development focus on functionality, and not so much on
> usability"
>
> From an end-user's perspective (i.e. from the perspective of the user
> who will be using the TV Page module in the BE every day), what is the
> difference between 'Hide' and 'Unlink' except that 'Hide' is easier to
> undo?

Is it? If you are using "hide", you have to change to list module to "unhide"
it. With "unlink" you don't have to. And as I know it's the same in classic
page module as long as you don't mark for show hidden content elements. So
maybe the problem isn't use of the words "hide"/"unlink", but more fundamental
questions about the design.

> "1. Open Source very often has little user interaction in
> development."
>
> TV's 'Unlink' function is an example of 'functionality' that, IMO, has
> no clear purpose in the general use of the BE unless possibly in
> highly specific circumstances. Moreover, it takes the place of (and in
> both major BE skins shares an icon with) a function that /is/ both
> needed and lacking in the TV Page module--the ability to delete
> content elements from the site.
>
> -Christopher

I use the "unlink" function, also my clients. And the delete are there, maybe
not so easy to find. But I agree in the bad use of icon.

But at this moment I feel a discussion about labels (details), more and less
counterproductive. There are many reasons for it.
First: What labels TYPO3 has in english, doesn't botter me at all as long
as they are understandable. All my clients (users) are using translated labels.
Second: To me the logical structure of the backend (how it can fit with the
typical users workflow), much more important at this moment. Then it's the
time to look into details as labels, best icons and so on.

Maybe I'm thinking in the wrong direction, but it's experience from 20 years
of training users in the use of different kind of software applications who
is my reference point.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no