[TYPO3-hci] Open Source usability sucks?

Christopher bedlamhotelnospam at gnospammail.com
Tue Sep 26 23:46:56 CEST 2006

Erik Svendsen wrote:

> To Tapios point with bad labels. He may have a point, but I don't know
> how many times i have found labels nearly impossible to understand in
> commersial software. But in most Open Source can I change the label,
> something thats impossible in commersial software. Else, to me "unlink"
> are perfect, because it exaxtly what it does (and not delete).

Well, this is a usability issue too--in fact it illustrates both points
rather nicely:

"2. Open Source development focus on functionality, and not so much on
usability"

 From an end-user's perspective (i.e. from the perspective of the user
who will be using the TV Page module in the BE every day), what is the
difference between 'Hide' and 'Unlink' except that 'Hide' is easier to undo?

"1. Open Source very often has little user interaction in development."

TV's 'Unlink' function is an example of 'functionality' that, IMO, has
no clear purpose in the general use of the BE unless possibly in highly
specific circumstances. Moreover, it takes the place of (and in both
major BE skins shares an icon with) a function that /is/ both needed and
lacking in the TV Page module--the ability to delete content elements
from the site.

-Christopher