[TYPO3-hci] Comparison between menu behaviours

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at atwebteam.com
Sun Sep 24 09:02:09 CEST 2006

Hi

One important issues concering menu behavior is to mark current active
main and sub-menu and how to keep menus visible.

Pull-down hover
1) can't keep open active sub-menu
2) if works onmouseover possible to highligh active main and sub-module

onClick tabbed menu

1) can keep open active sub-menu
2) possible to highligh active main and sub-module
3) might cause inconsitent situation - active sub-module is under
different tab as the last clicked main module - swithing main modules
just marks the last used tab, which is not necessarily the active main

onmouse-based tabbed menu

1) can keep open active sub-menu
2) possible to highligh active main and sub-module
3) *never* cause inconsitent situation, where active sub-module is under
different tab as the last clicked main module. If sub-menu item item has
been cliked, main module has been switched too and active main and
sub-module *always* syncronize.

In fact I got full consistent behaviour only for hover mode tabbed menu.
It has better logic than default left frame and onclick based tabbed
menu. I has better logic than pull down menu too on selectorbox on top.

At the respect of consitent behavior onmouse-based tabbed menu is the best