[TYPO3-hci] Quick Question: Pull-down menu library?

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Sat Sep 16 22:03:50 CEST 2006

Hello Andreas,

> Hi!
> The MS menu like idea has a big problem, which was not discussed yet..
> Well, you know the MS products have a specific number of functions and
> tools they offer. MS can be sure, that their amount of functions in
> the
> menus do not change. TYPO3 offers 3 to 5,000 functions which have to
> be
> stored in menu. If you like to use 3 menu items, then such a menu will
> work fine.. even with 10 it's nice to use. But as soon as your menu is
> twice the dimension of your screen, then you'll get crazy in scrolling
> all the time horizontaly.
> The same happens, if you have to scroll down vertically and your menu
> hides, as soon as your mouse cursor reaches the scrollbar..
>
> With this in mind, it's necessary to have several submenus.
>
> Imho: It won't be possible for the T3 4 branch to classify all the
> different modules (also those that are installed via ext) into new
> categories to create a tabbed menu out of it.
>
> Let's take this idea for T3 5.0, but just use an old school dhtml pop
> out menu until that.
>
> Greetings
> Andreas

Agree that this could be a problem, even if I don't have any sites where
each part of second level would be more than 10 - 12 choices. For editors
even fewer. Also MS has this problem some places, and need to use dropdown
where the number of functions are to large.

But I don't like the DHTML/"suckerfish" solution. Mostly because I'm in many
years I have worked together with people with reduced ability to controll
their hand movement. And they have problems with dropdown menus. And two
of them are working as administrators of CMS's. One using TYPO3.

But as long as you have fallback, the old left menu, it isn't any big problem.
The difference beetween a CSS based dropdown and a tabbed menu are only the
CSS. Even some DHTML solutions (javascript) has listbased menus. And I think
a combination of listbased menu and javascript would be the right solution,
mainly because I think it will be a more skinable solution (but I could be
wrong), and give more flexibility.

Else I found this very interesting solution of combinations of listbased
and javascript http://www.opencube.com/. Sorry it's not Open Source, but
it looks like most of the problems with "suckerfish" has been solved. And
what they have achived, should the TYPO3 community manage.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no