[TYPO3-hci] BE engine

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Thu Sep 14 10:52:42 CEST 2006

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> As it seems that there are many possible ways to create a new UI it
> seems to me a ggod idea to create a set of functions that create the
> basic functions but do not render them.

Good idea but we could take it further. We can use "factory" pattern and
  provide a factory for returning rendering class. This will let us have
switchable BEs. I.e. current BE, accessible BE, Tapio's BE, mine BE,
etc. It is just configured what rendering class factory returns.

> My favourite implementation of the "chassis" would use Smarty for
> additional flexibility. But that idea is that no only a "skin", but also
> a "chassis" is simply an extension.

This depends, of course. I like Smarty too but I think we should not
depend on it too much.

> This should limit the struggle within this group. Every group can create
> the UI it wants. Kasper can then choose the one he likes best for 4.1.
> But the work of the others won't be lost as they still be available as
> extensions on TER.

I think we definitely should BE rendering pluggable. For example, I have
my own idea, Kasper has its own (and it will become default BE I think),
Tapio may have his own. It should be switchable.

In fact, we can borrow idea of window managers from X system.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
http://typo3bloke.net/