[TYPO3-hci] Kickoff: TYPO3 4.1 (suggestions)

Christopher bedlamhotelnospam at gnospammail.com
Wed Sep 13 18:47:18 CEST 2006

Tapio Markula wrote:
> Robert Markula kirjoitti:
>
>> 3. If possible, do away with layout-tables. Ok, accessibility can be
>> achieved with layout tables, and pure CSS-based layout tends to bring
>> problems with browser-compatibility and needs ugly hacks.
>
> yes - I don't rely on float -property - it might cause unexpected

'Ugly hacks' are only very seldom necessary, and 'float' is very stable
on all modern browsers. There is only really one major weirdness about
IE's implementation of float and that's that it encloses the child
elements of floats (it's not supposed to).

The so-called 'float bugs' in IE are irritating, but they are not only
caused by problems with how IE renders floats. A better term for them
would be 'haslayout' bugs, and they are very often fixable with one line
in an IE-only stylesheet. '#selector { zoom:1; }' often works, for
example. The various 'haslayout' bugs in IE are generally quite
predictable, and not usually difficult to squash.

Having said that, there may very well be places in the BE where tables
are not technically the best /markup/ (i.e. in the sense of metadata),
but may be the best implementation we can come up with in the short
term. I'd like to see the layout tables gone, but if it's not practical
to get 'em all, we can still zap some of them.

Another thing to remember is that in the BE we can potentially drop
support for particularly troublesome UAs although since the most
troublesome one out there is the IE 5-6 family, I guess we're stuck with
the worst offenders no matter what we do :-)

In any case, I would /love/ to see the backend's markup and
skinnability/templatability improve. My particular strength is with
writing markup and CSS, so I'd like to offer to consult on the BE's
markup and styles; what I don't know is how best to achieve that. I
could, for example, take sections out of the existing BE and rewrite
them in a leaner, more modern way, but I don't know if that process will
fit into any concurrent re-coding of the application logic. I suppose
introducing templating for the BE is out of the question at this point?

I guess we'd also need to decide how (if) the in-markup javascript
attributes will stay in place. It'd be nice to see both the scripts and
the event handlers move into external files, but I have no idea if this
is practical or not.

The point is, I'm willing to write markup and styles for the BE either
as standalone sample pages if that would be helpful, or to write markup
on-demand for developers working in the BE php/js code.

Is anybody else interested in trying to update the BE?

-Christopher