[TYPO3-hci] Quick Question: Pull-down menu library?

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Wed Sep 13 16:36:58 CEST 2006

Hi Tapio,

Tapio Markula wrote:

> The problem of those kinds of menus that suckerfish menus don't have
> any delay. It is easy to "slipper", when you must start again.
> DHTML-menus can have delay and small slippering doesn't close menu.
> Endeed that is not problematic, if menu is vertical.
> For horizontal menu that is more problematic.
> We (Peter Klein and I) made two-level topmenu using suckerfish menu
> the second level cause slippering problem.

I think the real problem lies in having more than one menu level, which
is horrible for any UI. Basically, a 1-level-dropdown menu already
requires quite an effort to click, even for me as a regular mouse user.
In regular desktop apps I hardly ever use the menu, and never ever a
2-level-item unless I really need to.

I think we should just make sure that there is only one level in every
menu. I vaguely remember that e.g. OS X apps don't have more than one
menu level at all, if they can help it.

Greetings,
Michael