[TYPO3-hci] Kickoff: TYPO3 4.1 (suggestions)

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Wed Sep 13 15:36:21 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I think we found a highly motivated contributer in the field of BE
> Accessibility - you! There is no way to argue Dmitry, me or any other
> core developer to work on accessibility if its not a personal motivation
> for us. So it's up to you and whoever you can get in line behind you.
>
> Your options could be:
> - Deliver a patch to the bug-tracker that fixes it all. Then at some
> point it can be processed by a core developer and at least discussed in
> the open.
> - If you are not a coder, then analyze TYPO3 backend code and suggest
> actual changes that needs to be made - in the specifics! and with an
> estimate of number of changes and which compatibility breaks it might
> lead to and which consequences it could lead to for extension
> programmers. Then hook up with someone to write the above mentioned patch.
>
> If more than a patch is needed, then definitely the complete analysis
> has to exist as an overview for those to decide on this issue. Then you
> could search for a core developer that is a) trusted by the core team to
> do proper work and be responsible for it and b) pay him (if needed) to
> do the changes.
>
> Thanks for your interest in the topic.

Hi Kasper,
The best motivation is kinda useless when you're handicapped on your
own: For the time being, I have to live with a mobile internet
connection that goes over my mobile phone, which is slow and really
expensive.

Your suggestions sound more like a refactoring of the BE. There are a
handful of people who developed new skins and therefore have a hands-on
experience. They know the BE code and its shortcomings extremly well.
Maybe they can be won for this project, share their experience etc.? I
even got a mail from someone who is interested in this topic as well and
who offered his help.

A tighter BE code is of interest for everyone; reduces code size,
enables advanced skinning support, is an ideal base for AJAX and last
but not least - offers accessibility.

Ro