[TYPO3-hci] Quick Question: Pull-down menu library?

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at atwebteam.com
Wed Sep 13 12:25:11 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow kirjoitti:
> Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'm beginning to play with the new interface and need a JS library for
>> making the drop-down menus. Of course I could figure something out
>> using the current code for context menus - and maybe that is even best
>> to stick to.
>
> Hi Kasper,
>
> for accessibility's and cleanliness's sake: Let's keep the required JS
> to a minimum, you can do it all with CSS only (and some JS hacks for
> IE). Suckerfish dropdowns are simple <ul> which is the best practice
> almost anywhere, including TYPO3 HMENUs. We should use them as much as
> possible in any new BE interfaces:
>
> http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

The problem of those kinds of menus that suckerfish menus don't have
any delay. It is easy to "slipper", when you must start again.
DHTML-menus can have delay and small slippering doesn't close menu.
Endeed that is not problematic, if menu is vertical.
For horizontal menu that is more problematic.
We (Peter Klein and I) made two-level topmenu using suckerfish menu
the second level cause slippering problem.
It works - and in skin_grey_2 works still - but user must be careful.