[TYPO3-hci] Quick Question: Pull-down menu library?

Wed Sep 13 11:37:07 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow wrote:

> Hi Kasper,
>
> for accessibility's and cleanliness's sake: Let's keep the required JS
> to a minimum, you can do it all with CSS only (and some JS hacks for
> IE). Suckerfish dropdowns are simple <ul> which is the best practice
> almost anywhere, including TYPO3 HMENUs. We should use them as much as
> possible in any new BE interfaces:
>
> http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

Hi Michael,

It's a smart handling for menus. Ul menus are definitly the way to go.
It isn't that new. Rather a no brainer.

I think within forms it is something else. If you want to replace the
forms selections by ul lists, then you loose the accessibility. If you
turn off javaScript the form wouldn't work any more. It isn't a clean
solution for forms.

But it should be possible to bring regular dropdowns with CSS to a
similar look and feel if you want to.

Regards

Elmar