[TYPO3-hci] Kickoff: TYPO3 4.1 (suggestions)

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Tue Sep 12 20:34:26 CEST 2006

Hi!

Christopher wrote:
> But in any case, even if we were to decide to ignore item 6.3
> altogether, the core parts of the BE could probably be made to comply,
> without much difficulty, with all of WCAG 1 and 2 and most of 3--meeting
> as many guidelines as possible is definitely the preferable course.

Who exactly needs this? Typo3 is not easy to learn and I afraid it will
be even harder for people with visual disabilities (if possible at all).
They will not use typo3 BE anyway. Thus I do not think it is worth
spending time on developing "accessible" BE at all. It is the same as
developing aircraft cabin accessible. So far no one did that and no one
will do I think. It is simply not worth spending so much resources on it
if one person of a million may be (!) will use it.

> Plus, given that there is some interest in expanding TYPO3's userbase
> into government and public institutions, accessibility will have to be
> pursued at some point or other--and it'd be best to do it during the
> 4.5-5.0 refactoring instead of rebuilding everything twice!

Public institutions already use typo3: many universities, non-profit
organizations, etc. They use due to features, not due to accessibility.

Typo3 output is accessible since meets w3c standards. As to BE, it is
for limited professionals only, nothing prevents any organization from
using it (if they can manage to learn it of course). US government uses
non-accessible Boeing aircrafts with pleasure even though their "BE"
(cabin) is totally not "accessible".

--
Dmitry Dulepov
http://typo3bloke.net/