[TYPO3-hci] Install Tool

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Tue Sep 12 16:46:07 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> I think we can start right away on the install tool! However, I don't
> think we will make it for 4.1 but the work we can begin NOW is to write
> a story board of the a) guided process of first-time installation and b)
> the following "configuration" screen (possibly with a tree structure to
> encapsulate options).

Yes, we need to separate the install (1-2-3) process from the general
configuration screen. In fact, no software I know has setup and
preferences in one place.

So what's the storyboard:

1. fork to /install on first time usage and continue with 1-2-3. As
Matthew wrote there should be more checking before doing anything, and
I'd also like more autoconf magic (all the imaging stuff for example).
Those functions need to be re-usable.

2. Have a dedicated settings screen that looks and behaves similar to
system preferences in OS X, Windows or even Firefox. I'd like to try
sections (Database management, Users, Output settings, etc.) and
subsections (with a tabbed interface).

3. The whole installation must be scriptable from outside, so that I can
set up sites with a shell script or sth. similar.

4. Common configuration should start with autodetection and reasonable
defaults.

DIE, all configuration, DIE!!!

Cheers,
Michael