[TYPO3-hci] Install Tool

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Mon Sep 11 21:08:25 CEST 2006

I want to raise an old issue with the Install Tool.

I made a wiki page back in December 2005 for suggesting a new GUI
proposal for it and I still think it's worth a look.

http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Installtooltab

Since the Install Tool is the first thing administrators will look at it
when trying TYPO3, it should get our attention.

You can also look back at the thread "Consistency between programs" from
mid-May here in the HCI list for some more ideas and comments.

The problem for the future of any work on this extension are:

1- It's tricky
2- It's a 5000 lines PHP file
3- Redoing it from scratch is a good but hard thing to do.
4- It is not sexy to work on it for a developer because coders know how
to use it...

So even if I do even more work on usability (the DB section at least) on
this tool, there's a great possibility it stays that way as long as it's
not taken care by the Association (read money).

Do people agree on these comments?

The sad thing is that I really don't have the coding ability to do this.

Should it be a priority?

Should I just shut up?

Patrick