[TYPO3-hci] 4.1 menubar thoughts

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Thu Oct 19 15:32:29 CEST 2006

Lasse schrieb:
> Hi guys!
> Just wanted to give my 2 cents on the menubar from kasper.
> I really think that it's a huge step in the right direction in terms of
> usability in typo3. This is what users know from other applications and
> it will make them feel comfortable using typo3.
> I've decided to try to take it a bit further, and make it even more like
> an ordinary app, and take a well proved concept from both the mac, linux
> and MS platform: something I call "windows"..
>
> I've set up a demo, and you've got admin rights, so please don't mess
> anything up :-)
> http://www.pilt-grafisk.dk/typo3/
> user & pass: test  (for some strange reason you have to log in twice..)
>
> I've only tested it with firefox, and there are lot's of bugs, but I
> think you get the main idea.
> You need to double-click the icons to open a window - single-click
> imaginary "selects" the icon.
> You can drag the icons around to get your own personal "desktop".
> The windows are kinda slaggy as I used the prototype window class -
> http://prototype-window.xilinus.com/ - which uses both iframes and tables..
>
> What ya think??
> Best regards
>
> Lasse Nørby
Hi!
Your demo is great! Wow!

Well.. There are currently several things I dislike.
On the one hand many people get told, that you have to click only once
on internet pages, but on the other hand many people still double click
on any link, because they got used to by their operating system aka
broken-glasses-on-your-floor :)

I think this problem could be solved by a configurating setting, which
enables you to: 1) click and select or 2) hover and select
Windows has such an option, and I think it works great.

Something like this could be invented.

On the other hand, draggable windows are a real problem. As long as you
have the back/forward button on top of your screen, most people use
them. This is very bad, if you entered something, but then clicked on
"backwards".

Sure, tabs couldn't solve this issue too, but they would probably don't
give the impression, that a click on "backwards" doesn't affect your inputs.

Well, what do you think of having both options again. Windows and tabs?
I mean it's not that different, and remember: Dreamweaver is using
windows too. The only noticeable difference between Windows and
Dreamweaver is, that Windows is displaying the windows in a startmenu
and Dreamweaver in a tabmenu. However.. Both use the same technics and
both have the same options like dragging, sorting, closing, etc..

Why not just use both possibilities. It's only a question of the skin,
isn't it?

Andreas