[TYPO3-hci] ...was inspiring people to slave, now lets talk turkey...

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Oct 18 11:25:22 CEST 2006

Thanks Bas,

I appreciate your efforts to tackle TYPO3.

> cumbersome to use from PHP. Much of the 'glue' that binds it all
> together is absent so it takes a lot of individual "aha moments" to
> progress as a developer. From my personal standpoint, that's what's
> holding me back. I'd love to contribute more!

I assume you mean this is holding you back from learning faster, not
contribute.

I don't doubt the truth of the problems you describe. The question
is; who has the itch to solve it? I will give some suggestions:

The newbee:
The newbee who is currently struggling to learn TYPO3 gotta be the
one with the highest wish that things were different. Obviously he
cannot provide better documentation that he still needs himself. A
very proactive and visionary newbee could try to cut a deal with
someone more knowledgable who would provide the personal training in
return for the newbee to translate it into the documentation he would
himself have liked to have. That would help the next newbee.

The post-newbee:
This guy has already climbed the ladder. He has no need for
documentation he doesn't need anymore, but with a fresh recollection
of how difficult it was for himself, he might feel an urge to save
others this struggle. This guy sounds like yourself. What keeps you
from contributing clear documentation you think should have been around?

The developer:
This guy hates the fact that people are struggling to use his product
- after all he shared it so others should be able to benefit as well.
He might set out to write documentation, probably with a grand vision
of nailing it once and for all. However, after a while he realize
that no matter how hard he tries, his language doesn't communicate it
clear enough due to his expert perspective. And also, it seems that
no matter how hard he tries, it never silences the demand for more,
better and easier documentation. He wants to solve the problem, he
just doesn't know how. Eventually he gives up in frustration. This
definitely is me.

- kasper