[TYPO3-hci] ...was inspiring people to slave, now lets talk turkey...

Bas van de Wiel bas at kompasmedia.nl
Wed Oct 18 08:04:54 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> This seem to be the true essense, yes! Money or not, to me that looks
>
>like a side issue now.
>
>- kasper

Hello Kasper and others,
I've been silently following this list for a while and this discussion
is grabbing my interest. Personally I've turned from a user/admin into a
developer very slowly over time and with great effort. I knew PHP at a
reasonably advanced level before I started using TYPO3, so that helped.
However the lack of any really coherent developer documentation made
progress very slow. Things are spread out across five or so key
documents that aren't always the obvious source for information. It
would have been greatly helped if there had been something of a 'best
practices' or developer FAQ to go with the raw and summary list of
functions that is the core API documentation. Most of the time I get
things done and it all works properly but I'm still left with the
question whether or not I did things correctly, the TYPO3-way so to say.
Things like FE forms for example. I started with hand coded forms, then
switched to the form API in TYPO3, which seems limited and a bit
cumbersome to use from PHP. Much of the 'glue' that binds it all
together is absent so it takes a lot of individual "aha moments" to
progress as a developer. From my personal standpoint, that's what's
holding me back. I'd love to contribute more!

Bas