[TYPO3-hci] My 4.1 proposal - again

Silke Arend sa at externes-management.de
Tue Oct 17 09:15:00 CEST 2006

> > First question: How long will be "near future" in this case?
>
> next year easter?
> I think at that time older versions than 7 will have not more market share
> than Netscape 4.
>
> > Second question: Nobody will be able to escape? I would really like to know
> > how they would legally force the user to accept such an automatic upgrade.
> > At least on my systems its me who decides what will be upgraded and when ...
>
> you decide wether you want to have a secure system or not.
> every security update is connected with a new IE.
>
> maybe you can escape the new IE, but probably only on win-versions, which
> are no longer supported at all.
> On Win-NT or W2K. win9x? (95,98,ME)
> But I don't think you can escape IE7 on Win-XP and you won't escape it or
> later Versions with Vista.

Since IE 7 *does not* work with Windows 2000, 98 or older, I am afraid IE <7 will be around quite long still.

system requirements:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/about/sysreqs/default.mspx

Users won't give up their current windows for the sake of a new browswer version. And in terms of security updates: they will have lots of time left. For example, Windows 2000 will be supported by security patches till June 2010.

extended support windows 2000:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/extendedsupport.mspx

Silke