[TYPO3-hci] My 4.1 proposal - again

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Oct 16 18:40:04 CEST 2006

> Since there are no problems when using the old school JavaScript
> approach of i.e. TMENU_LAYERS the cause for the flickering must be in
> the JS used by those "suckerfish" (or similar) solutions. I guess it
> has something to do with the JS based change of whole classes (and
> their attributes) instead of just one atrribute (visibility or
> position).

This is what Microsoft says about it:

<quote>
Avoid switching classes and style rules

Switching classes and style rules can be an expensive operation, requiring
recalculation and layout of the entire document. If your Web site uses style
sheets to provide alternative views of your content, consider modifying the
style object directly for the elements you wish to change, rather than
modifying an elements className property or the styleSheet object associated
with a class.
</quote>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/recalc.asp

In this article they compare different methods regarding their performance.
So maybe this can be a source for improvements necessary to get rid of the
flickering and hanging?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de