[TYPO3-hci] My 4.1 proposal - again

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Oct 16 17:21:17 CEST 2006

>> I thought about that too. Then realized we should go for something
>> more flexible, namely the diff. Who says that dropdowns represent a
>> list anyway? Could be anything. In default examples we need space
>> for a check-icon (?), an item icon, the title and an arrow to the
>> right. Could that be made with a list? If so, how?
>>

> First of all, hi there
>
> I made a proof of concept sometimes ago to check out how I could use
> form elements in a dropdown and get a "windows look" only with css
> Well, you can check my solution out here
> http://www.moede.ch/html/dropdown/
>
> As you can see, the second "Loeschen" Button is a form element, in
> that case a button, styled with css
>
> It's not optimised at all for any other browser than Firefox but I
> think it shows how we can do that with a valide and, if we use some
> additional title tags in the <li or <a tag, accessibility html
>
> If we would need some more graphical Elements there's still the
> possibility to use an empty <span tag like this <span><!-- --></span>
> or
> a n image tag.
>
> Maybe thats an Input you can use for a future Version of the Drowdown

In IE6 it flickers like hell. But this is the case with almost any solution
for dynamic menus based on CSS I have seen so far.

Since there are no problems when using the old school JavaScript approach of
i.e. TMENU_LAYERS the cause for the flickering must be in the JS used by
those "suckerfish" (or similar) solutions. I guess it has something to do
with the JS based change of whole classes (and their attributes) instead of
just one atrribute (visibility or position).

Can anybody show me a CSS based layermenu page where the IE flickering has
been completely eliminated? If yes - we should go for that code, since the
target group of IE users is not really a minority :-) - if not, it could be
wise to find a solution to that problem before going on with something that
would force the user to install a special browser.

After all we are talking about acessibility (else we could simply use the
old school approach) and this means that people should be able to work with
such a menu regardless of the browser they are using. If the flickering
causes a headache after a few hours of working in the BE this is not a
really accessible solution, so we have to find something better.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

BTW: Did anybody ever try using the MS proprietary "expressions" for
Layermenus that are working with JavaScript directly inside the CSS?

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de