[TYPO3-hci] ...was inspiring people to slave, now lets talk turkey...

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 10:53:10 CEST 2006

Thanks Kasper,

Don't get me wrong it is an option yes, but it is not a proposal other than
to stimulate discussion that for TYPO3 to grow as you envisage it must be
motivated by personal itch or money. Money is of course the lowest
denominator for effectiveness but a powerful one nevertheless.

Personal itch is of course on Maslow's hierarchy of needs list. So the
reason for the itch varies a lot for each of us.

TYPO3 contributions remain great by the few and small by the many and is not
a situation that is sustainable. The todo list is getting longer.

What can be done to motivate the many?

Extensions are great for lots of reasons - but most people I see using TYPO3
are far away from writing extensions. Building extensions relies on several
broad skill sets. These people can still contribute but at this stage even
if there motivation sufficient they don't know how.

Is this a problem that the typical user is no longer a developer or is it a
problem that extension building is not more point and click.

Pavlov's Dog - if the many cannot contribute time and code let them donate
manageable amounts of necessary cash.

It is naive to think TYPO3 can grow exponentially without money which of
course is always equal to time. The question is how palateable the money /
time wrapper is presented.

Several people have commented that perhaps smaller more tangible tasks on a
lengthy to do list would help people in that semi developer state to drop
in and help with parts as possible. Like me for example. I can just about
write a basic extension and I am slowly developing on the documentation
side.

I am experiencing personal pressures to earn money and spend less etc and I
also have a new baby on the way. Like many of us, time devoted to a
particular job helping TYPO3 share is both limited and valuable.

So I see the thrust of this conversation is how to enable/facilitate
motivation by the many to the state of actual contribution and in an
effective way ie in a strong positive direction.

Matthew