[TYPO3-hci] ...was inspiring people to slave, now lets talk turkey...

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Mon Oct 16 08:43:59 CEST 2006

Hi Matthew,

Your proposal to turn TYPO3 into a fully commercial project paid with
taxes is of course one possible consequence to take from the
recognition of peoples - often egocentric - reasons to contribute.
However, I actually think its the sure death for what we do and the
very opposite of everything a voluntary Open Source community likes
ours stand for.

In this regard I agree fully to what Erik Svendsen wrote.

What you do not recognize is that the "personal itch" is at least as
strong as money and delivers better software. I'm arguing that we are
increasingly subduing the "personal itch" in our community and we
should strenghen it instead. If we began to develop TYPO3 through
taxes we would be no different from ( in fact worse than) any
commercial CMS out there that we have been beating for years, we
would have to change all developers to new ones that buys that new
way of working and the community would loose their attachment to the
project. We would loose our "soul" and die. I will probably never
recommend going down the "tax-road". Taxes are mostly used to finance
a public sector which the larger it grows gets more and more
unsatisfied, craving, passive individuals (despite the original
vision of commonly funded welfare for all). I want the opposite; A
tiny public service from the T3A whose most important job will be to
provide the playground for individual initiative.

What I do recommend is that we strenghen the personal incentives
everyone has to contribute. We have not at all reached the potential
of classic Open Source motivations like personal itch,
acknowledgement and a wise crowd. Why? Because we have been blind to
the strength of these factors although the best examples are right in
front of us; The extension repository!

The volume of the Extension repository represents a compelling
argument that personal itch is very much alive.  If you set people
free to solve their problems they will, far more than money could do
for us. This is the surprising strength of Open Source. In addition
they seem aware to share their solutions!

Then we have lots of weaknesses; Bad extensions, bad documentation,
low incentive to do this and that, chaos here and there. But most -
if not all - of this can be solved if we intelligently apply self-
balancing mechanisms in the community that tend to filter all these
things by themselves - including security reviews. Systems like
ratings can solve this for us.

We need to get out of a paradigm where we continue to prefer manual
solutions to problems and get into the power of the wisdom hidden
inside of crowd.

FInally, I want to stress another important thing:

Its important to separate between the motivation to "produce" Open
Source and "share" Open Source. Some that may have been frightened
that I'm loosing my idealism shouldn't fear. The truth is that
probably none of us have coded more than 100 lines of code that we
had absolutely not incentive to produce. Lets just face it, that
whether it was a clients project, passion, social acknowledgement or
fun and art, we did it because we had a motivation.

The key to our idealism is to share it - the product - without a
second thought!

- kasper