[TYPO3-hci] ...was inspiring people to slave, now lets talk turkey...

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Sat Oct 14 23:41:01 CEST 2006

Hello Daniel, and also Matthew (and others to)

> the conversation about taxes and more money:
> Hm, I hope I didn't limit something important. It's just so, that this
> is not a topic I can help with. I've got much to do with
> documentation,
> cannot "dance on one more wedding". (it's a german ideom - maybe known
> in UK, too)

Thats correct! But even if you have found your way to support TYPO3 (and
it's a important way) it's a big help to make others aware of the possibilities
to support TYPO3 through donations or/and membership in the T3 Association.

> But you should contact some people who care for the financial stuff. I
> think there're some who find this very important. Maybe a new
> project-team to find out new solutions about it?

I suppose there are people today that care about financial stuff - for instance
T3A (I know there are).

But as everyone participating at T3CON06 may understand, the use of money
to pay for work done in an Open Source community isn't straight forward.
TYPO3 have built it's foundation, and maybe most of it's soul on voluntary
work, which also is motivated through factors that are typical for voluntarly
works (fun, appreciation, status, respect, relationships. Everyone who has
attended on T3BOARD and T3CON know about the latter). Of course a lot of
work that all of us benefits from is done because of economical incentives
to, mainly by agencies and freelancers that make their living of TYPO3.

When you start to pay for development (or other important work) in a bit
larger scale, you are in real danger to change the balance between non-economical
motivation factors and money as motivation factors. Mostly because money
are for most people an extremly strong factor, and often change your behavior.
If this balance shifts, you may have new people on board, but you also have
the risk to lose others (who may be more important for the future). So it's
a difficult task to make the decisions about which part of necessary work
should be done with money as a motivation factor. And I think the only part
of the TYPO3 community who can make this decission on a broad basis is the
T3A board. And I know they are aware of this.

And to make my statement clear. I believe TYPO3 can benefit from a larger
financial base, because I think there are lot of work that are nearly impossible
to do without using some money. For instance security review of all extensions
(takes time and are not what coders do for fun). Also a lot of work regarding
to typo3.org, communication and support of teams are nearly impossible to
do without some funding.

Myself don't think the tax idea is a good idea. In fact it's a stupid one,
primarly because it's somehow not the expectations of people that looks at
Open Source. But Joey idea of a support line could bed a better one. This
is partly the economical foundation of eZ Publish. But I think a lot could
be done, as some has said, in making it more easy to donate. T3A has both
PayPal and Moneybookers acount, they have made the possibility to use it
to sponsor the solving of bugs. But work could be done in marketing membership,
and the possibility to donate a bit more (lot more). T3A hasn't more than
a little over 200 member. Looking at the size of the community that should
at least be doubled.

And we don't need a new team for this (TYPO3 has nearly enough teams), only
people who see this as important and are dedicated to do a long term job
on behalf of the T3A. If they have to be sponsored with some money, thats
OK for me. Because they will probably accumulate more.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no