[TYPO3-hci] 4.1 = menubar/iconbar/dashboard; lets go!

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Fri Oct 13 14:03:57 CEST 2006

Hm.. I thought I would read something about the menubar, the iconbar and
the dashboard in this thread, but seeing headlines like "Inspiring
people to slave" makes me think about whether this discussion is on the
right track..

To get back to topic (and to guess that your discussion was about
accessbility)I would like to mention, that we can increase accessibility
and usuability at the same time.
FIRST) If you need to be able to edit something on your website and you
are not able to use a JS enabled browser, then it might be better to use
 the FE or a special application, that is designed exactly for your
needs. This strategy is doable with T3 5.0, as this version afaik will
be able to get synched to various systems.
SECOND) As the whole discussion here is about ideas and how to implement
them, it's not the major topic to know, how skin developers will be able
to change the visual 'output' of those things. But i'm sure, they'll be
able to do so later on..

OK.. Now back to topic ;) (and I do not want _any_ accessibility <->
usuability disscussions in this subpart of this thread! Ok?

Good :)

Some ideas of mine:
I like the idea of a clipboard. But displaying it on the left has a
major problem. If we place everything into tiny little tab-boxes, it'll
be hard to get to page 200 in your pagetree, because you have to scroll
down all the time.

So how to solve this? I would preffer a sidebar of T3, in which you are
able to have the clipboard, a help system (something like the index
search introduced by Kasper, but with the possibility to search in help
documentations, mailinglist entries and a FAQ system, created by the
server admin for special situations..).

Then it would be nice to have the possibility of reading T3 mailing
messages there and start new tasks. All of this could be viewable with a
backend calendar. So actually this could be placed in the dashboard, but
with the differences, that you'll have 2 views. View Number 1 would be
the main view, that is opened as soon as you start T3. It is displayed
in fullscreen. View Number 2 would be a simple sidebar on the right
(maybe?!?), that is round about 120 px in width and has an old fashioned
module navigation. But this navigation has to be able to react on drag
events. E.g.: You drag an entry from the main view (e.g.: any column)
onto it, it has to be able to open the right menus. (drag something on
Clipboard) would have to open the right submodules..

OK. Next thing..
I would remove the tab "functions" out of any main view of the pages and
pagecontents and move this functionallity into the new sidebar. This
could be renamed too..

Ok.. What do you think about it?

Andreas