[TYPO3-hci] 4.1 = menubar/iconbar/dashboard; lets go!

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Fri Oct 13 13:36:51 CEST 2006

JoH schrieb:
>>> it works slower than existing solution, really bad
>> Do you know why and how to speed it up?
>
> A first step could be to remove the fading effects, since they don't improve
> usability in any way. Of course it's looking nice, but I guess the whole
> thing will be much faster without them (even on my W2K Desktop I never use
> any effects).
>
> Will have a closer look at the JS code during the next days.
> Maybe I can find other performance killers and possible replacements.
>
> But even though it's all a bit slow, the look and feel is quite good and
> much better than the default "navigation skyscraper" in the left column.
>
> I'll keep you informed ...
>
> Joey

Hi!
Well Sorry.. :-/ but I have bought me a new computer and was offline for
a while.. ..so I wasn't able to write my comments ;)

OK. I think that the fading effects are not very good for accessibity,
but they do improve usuability. Because it's a better feeling to see
something fading out and fading in again, instead of being shocked, in a
way, that a new menu is just popping out in front of your eyes.. ;)

I can share the opinion, that those effects do render very slowly on an
old computer. What do you think of finding a compromise and making the
whole effects configurable in your T3 user settings (this nice module,
where you can select your language, email options and skin options, etc..

Of course this would have to be configurable by TS too.

I could imagine something like "no effects (default)", "fadings" and
some others. Maybe even a randomized menu effects lib..

So well, i think i can now read the other posts in this thread ;)

Greetings
Andreas