[TYPO3-hci] Motivations, WAS: 4.1 = menubar/iconbar/dashboard; lets go!

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Oct 12 19:13:45 CEST 2006

> for me it doesn't sound nice and respectfull what/ how you write. It's
> not true, that nobody makes a concept before the implementation
> starts. The true fact is, that just a little number of the concepts
> are _published_. The most are on paper or in the talks/ newsgroups,
> that's just another form of "media".

So can you show me the place where we could have read the concept of the new
"menubar/iconbar/dashboard"?
Idea: Kasper - Concept: Kasper - Code: Kasper
Major drawback: Clientside JS - less accessibility

If this concept would have been discussed before and a decision for a
solution would have been made that's regarded by the whole team to be "the
best" solution it would have been much more efficient.
There would have been no big difference in the time needed to code the
solution, maybe there would have been two or three coders working together
on it.
Without these steps the coder might be lucky if his code works perfectly
from the start - but in many cases it will just be a waste of time, because
the coder overlooked some major bugs in his concept.
The product will be working in a way, but it will just be useless because of
the conceptual bugs.

> It's really not new, that first a concept is needed and then
> implementation starts. Maybe something for you is new - sorry, I don't
> know you - and that is to create one or more functional prototypes.
> That's the proof-of-concept and the base for further development.

I know what a prototype is ;-)
But usually you don't start a project by just creating prototypes without a
detailed planning phase.
As you already named it: A prototype is a "proof of concept".
This means: First you need the concept, then you can prove it with
prototypes.
And usually all these prototypes are based on the _same_ concept and just
show different possibilities to solve it.
If you don't do it this way and just start creating lots of different
prototypes you might never find the real bug, because the code is always
"correct" and working but the bug is in the concept itself.

I don't say there is no concept at all regarding the TYPO3 project.
But since the start of the development of 4.0 there has been a lot of
actionism and less discussion.
One of the results are i.e. the "don't work spaces" - and guess why somebody
gave them that name ...

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de