[TYPO3-hci] New Web Module based on Dojo Toolkit

Christopher bedlamhotelnospam at gnospammail.com
Wed Oct 11 19:07:40 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think the discussion about accessibility in the backend and JS or
>> not should be a 5.0 concern. I don't see it in the future of 4.x at all.
>
> Yes. As for 5.0: it could make sense to write the BE around "services"
> with a kind of "protocol" The "protocal" might be a pure PHP API, but
> may include "external" APIs with pure XML or Web Services (SOAP).
>
> So there could be many possible BEs. I suggest this because I don't
> think any complex with reasonable modern functionality is really
> maintanable if it has to provide fallbacks for anything.

I'm not so sure about this. The BE consists of links and forms; /most/
of what would be required to make the BE accessible (outside of improved
markup) could be accomplished by setting forms up to submit to a script
in the conventional way and then overriding the form's action attribute
(i.e. with 'onsubmit') when JS is available.

> IMHO the basic
> BE should be a modern JS interface with a good deal of AJAX and DOM
> manipulation.

Full ACK. DOM support has become much too good not to use it.

> Writing a separate JS-less BE is probably much easier
> (with the mentioned "services") than catching any possible client variant.

The 'services' idea is intriguing, but 'any possible client variant' is
an /extreme/ exaggeration of what's actually being suggested.

-Christopher